The RSL Memorial Park gates were originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War Two. The gates were opened and dedicated in August 1946 by Mr. L. Shapley.
A plaque was added to the gates at a later date to commemorate those who enlisted and served in the Vietnam War.
The Melrose Soldiers’ Memorial Movement Committee was formed with the object of creating a suitable memorial to men and women who enlisted from the district. It is proposed to utilise the reserve in the town by constructing children’s playground, also providing other sporting facilities, the execution of a memorial gate, and a permanent honor roll.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 4th April 1946.